Who are By Miles?
By Miles is a car insurer that primarily bills based on the number of miles driven, rather than the more traditional estimated annual mileage.
The company, which was established in 2017 in London, offers policies underwritten by a panel of insurers including AXA Insurance Plc and Zurich. It is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Why should I consider By Miles?
By Miles is a “pay for what you use” insurance pricing model for less frequent drivers (less than 7,000 miles per year). It charges drivers a fixed annual cost when their car is parked, then an additional one-time “fixed cost per mile” for each additional mile driven.
Mileage is monitored using a Miles Tracker that you plug under your dash into your car’s OBD-II socket. Or, in new “connected” cars, you just need to download the app and that will send your odometer information directly to the insurer.
The app also lets you see how much each journey cost in pounds and pence, while other features include locating where your car is parked and the ‘Car Medic’, which fixes any issues that arise. may appear on your dashboard.
The app also alerts the 24-hour claims team if you’re involved in an accident so they can help you or notify the emergency services.
By Miles only offers comprehensive comprehensive coverage, which includes the following features:
- cover while driving in the EU for up to 90 days
- Non-loss protected discount (NCD)
- free courtesy car while yours is being repaired
- personal accident cover for you/your spouse if either of you suffers an injury or dies as a result of a traffic accident
- uninsured driver cover protecting your NCD and charging a £0 excess if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver
- bad fuel cover
- replacement key cover
- three free policy changes
- personal effects coverage if your belongings are stolen or damaged in your car
- child car seat cover if damaged in an accident
- new car replacement for cars less than 12 months old (for written off or stolen vehicles of which you are the first owner)
You can also add the following optional extras to your policy:
- RAC Breakdown Coverage
- guarantee of legal protection related to a dispute relating to the sale of your vehicle or the cloning of the plates of your vehicle by another person or organization
- Courtesy Car Plus coverage for a delivered and collected car of a model similar to yours, which you can use for up to 21 days while yours is repaired
By Miles car insurance is rated 5 stars by the independent financial information company Defaqto.
How to contact By Miles
You can call By Miles on 0330 088 3838 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm and weekends and public holidays 10am to 4pm.
You can also use the live chat service on its website or get in touch via Twitter or Facebook.
How to find the best coverage for you
The easiest way to ensure you find the best car insurance policy at the best price is to compare providers and policies online. But when doing so, be sure to weigh the level of coverage offered against the premium. And make sure the deductible is set at a reasonably affordable amount should you ever have to make a claim.
Likewise, make sure you don’t overpay your policy for coverage you don’t need. Running multiple quotes and choosing different add-ons each time will show you how they affect the price.
Why it makes sense to compare policies and providers
Motor insurers can no longer offer cheaper policy prices to new customers due to regulations introduced by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in January 2022.
However, comparing car insurance offers at renewal time is always very useful. There are a variety of policies on the market and costs can vary from provider to provider, for the same or similar levels of cover.
For an indication of the level of customer service offered by an insurer, you can consult websites such as Fairer Finance, Defaqto or Trustpilot.